Monday, January 2, 2012

Inspiration from 1965


I think I'm pretty late to the game when it comes to Pinterest.  I finally set up my account just a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit that it can be pretty fun to look at so many beautiful images.  On my first day, I encountered the above picture, and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I have always admired my mother-in-law's handmade ornaments that currently belong to my sister-in-law.  I had heard that she made them right around the time that my husband was born from a pattern she found in some magazine.  Not only was I looking at a picture from the original magazine, but there was a link attached to give me a little more information.  I was able to find out exactly which magazine the ornament patterns were in, and, best of all, I found the magazine for sale on ebay and purchased it for less than $2!



I couldn't wait for it to arrive, and when it did, I spent a good hour going through every picture and description.  It is a Family Circle publication, titled Christmas Helps 1965.  The pictures throughout look like they come straight out of an episode of Mad Men.



The article that goes along with the above picture is all about how a hostess should act, and etiquette for party goers.  Doesn't she look like Joan?


I love this pine cone tree, and after making my little wreath, I can't imagine the time that went into creating a full-size tree!




When I showed my mother-in-law the magazine, she was especially enamored by the stockings.  Can you imagine having such a variety?



This partridge-in-a-pear-tree is probably my second favorite idea from my vintage magazine!

As much as I love all of the new ideas I see floating around on the Internet, I have to admit my favorite things are always vintage.  I'm already looking forward to Christmas crafting.



-Amy

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love! Especially the ornaments! Wouldn't they be pretty on a flocked tree?

    ReplyDelete