Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Embroidery Hoop Art


If I had any extra money at all, money that didn't have some designated place to go, I would spend it all on art.  Paintings, sketches, photography, sculpture, installations, whatever -- I love it all! I think that is why I enjoy sewing and crafting so much, because, while I don't have the skills to be a fine artist, I can create things within my limited abilities.





Recently, I ran across an art project that truly inspired me.  365 Lucky Days (above) is a blog put together by a woman who wants to create a piece of art every day, specifically embroidery art.  Her designs and skill are breathtaking, and her use of mixed-media within her hoops, truly inspires me.  Lucky is an amazing artist!



Doe-c-doe is also a fellow embroiderer.  I love to see how she utilizes fabric to create an actual backdrop for what she wants to write.  In fact, embroidered words are my favorite type of embroidery.



Images via Pinterest





Hoops can be used to showcase fabric and hung on the walls in a beautiful grouping.  Keep your eye out for hoops at thrift stores, because this would be a very inexpensive way to fill a wall, using thrifted hoops and scraps of fabric left over from other projects.



 I found this simple project at Freckled Nest, which displays some beautiful buttons.




 I made this little guy for my sister and her husband for Christmas.  Selfishly, I wanted to remind them of their Oregon home -- a not-so-subtle hint from me that I would be much happier if they didn't live so far away.  While I hand-stitched this one, I made a matching set for my brother (Oregon and North Carolina) and his wife, and I sewed the states down with my sewing machine (the feed dogs were turned off).  Both turned out great.  I also made a teeny-tiny Oregon for my father's office at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. 

I can't wait to make more of these.



-Amy

3 comments:

  1. We love our Oregon art. We already have it hung up in our room. So glad you are willing to share your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love theses!! I need to pull out my kit!! I thought about doing that in Grace's room with fabric and I ordered a print for Mark very similar to the Oregon one! Loving all your posts on this blog...

    ReplyDelete