Sunday, December 18, 2011

Vintage Sheet Pillowcase


I love fabric!  I especially love vintage print fabrics (or vintage fabric, when I can find it).  The problem is, fabric is pretty expensive, especially when you want to do a large-scale project.  That's why I always keep my eye out for vintage sheets when I am thrift shopping.  Top sheets are always the best, as you don't have to deal with the elastic corners, and top sheets are much less worn compared to fitted sheets.  Look for bright colors, without patches of fading.

When trying to come up with a gift for my four beautiful nieces, my sister suggested making pillowcase kits, so that they could practice their sewing skills over the Winter Break.  I decided to use one of my vintage sheets for the project, and also some of the large ric-rac from the boxes of stuff my grandma gave me.  In order to personalize each pillowcase, I cut out each of the girls' initials from a different print and adhered it to some double-sided interfacing.  Because Olivia can't walk, let alone sit at a sewing machine, I decided to sew hers up for her, to give her big sisters a model to look at.

This isn't a full-on tutorial, but if you follow these instructions, you can sew a personalized pillowcase in no time.

Cut:
One piece that measures 34 inches x 42 inches

Hem:
Fold over the raw edge (the right side to wrong side) of the long side of the piece 1/4 inch, press, and then fold down 4 inches and press again.  Stitch right along the edge, at the bottom of the fold.


Stitch:
If you would like to embellish your pillowcase, stitch a long piece of ric-rac or ribbon, all along the hemmed seam.

Fold:
Fold the piece in half, right sides together, creating your pillowcase.  Make sure to match the hemline and ribbon or ric-rac.  Sew the pillowcase, starting at one end, turning the corner, and finishing at the corner where your fabric folded.  If you are not using a serger, zig-zag the raw edges.


Iron:
Turn right side out and iron the monogram onto the front of the pillowcase.  Stitch around the edges to secure in place.

All done!


-Amy

1 comment:

  1. Loooove! You have been working so much for this blog, loving all these posts!!

    ReplyDelete