Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sugar Spiced Almonds


It's that time of year when everyone is making and receiving goodies.  It is also that time of year when I feel like I really couldn't look at another cookie, let alone eat one (who am I kidding, I still eat them), and I wonder if my friends and family feel the same way.  That's why I love giving these nuts away, because  I'm pretty sure they won't be getting them from anyone but me.  They're sweet, they're salty, and they're pretty much perfect in every way.  Best part is, these nuts are probably the simplest recipe you will have to follow this year.


Sugar Spiced Almonds

6 cups raw almonds
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs whites
1 T. water
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 275 degrees, and line to large baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.  In a small bowl mix together sugar and spices.  In a large bowl, whisk together salt, vanilla, egg whites, and water, until frothy.  Stir in almonds until completely coated and wet.  Pour in sugar mixture and stir well until all of the almonds are covered in sugar.  Spread the almonds out, in a single layer, on the baking sheets, and bake for one hour, stirring once.  Allow to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment