So, for some time now I have been trying to figure out what to do for a headboard for our bed. We faced a couple of challenges due to the fact that we live in an older home where the "master bedroom" is quite small. So, we had to find something that fit the space and didn't overwhelm the room. My other condition was that I really wanted something that had a lot of character. Like a lot of things around my house, I wanted something that was a little different and quirky but, beautiful at the same time.
Between Cameron and I we have had a lot of different ideas and we had almost purchase several different headboards at different times. I am finding that the older I get that I am quite picky about what I want in my house.
Okay now fast forward to a year ago. To make a LONG story short Cameron came across a gold mine of reclaimed lumber through WYDOT. You know those huge snow fences you see along the freeways in areas that get a tremendous amount of snow? Well they tear those down every few years and all of the lumber they use to make them is left in piles off the freeway. The lumber is weathered and beaten and beautiful--perfect for creating some one of a kind projects. Anyways, Cameron had a couple of connections and got us a TON of reclaimed lumber --- FOR FREE!
I am not good at making this long story short.:) So, last year when he brought the lumber home we started to create different things for around the house. We had toyed with the idea of making a headboard but, weren't quite sure how to go about it. The other day while cruising the Design Sponge blog I saw THIS beautiful headboard. The heavens opened and I think the design angels sang for me. This was it--this was the headboard we had been waiting for.
We didn't waste much time. Last Saturday, my very handy hubby and I set to work on creating our own. You can tell by the snow on the ground that the weather was not ideal but, we didn't let it stop us! We followed the tutorial pretty close but, had to make a few adjustments to fit our space.
Getting it all laid out and measured.
The hubs hard at work cutting lumber into smaller puzzle like pieces.
Fitting all of the pieces together.
The back side. We did end up adding some support to the middle but, I failed to take a picture of that.
All the pieces put together. Now there are no photos of the next steps because that was all my job. Just imagine A LOT of scrubbing and washing of the wood. Years of snow and dirt needed to be cleaned off. I also lightly sanded it to get any hanging splinters. I didn't want to take away from any of the texture it had.
The finished product. I am in love! I know it's not for everyone but, it definitely screams us. I am also in love with the fact that Cameron made it himself. Now I need to get to work on hanging some things on the wall.
A small touch to make it our own. -Sigh and a pitter-patter for my new headboard and my husband who put it all together.-